[CAUT] Spare bass string set - was unusual repair

Rick Florence Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Mon Feb 26 12:54:44 MST 2007

On February 26, 2007 9:41 AM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

Suppose I won the Powerball jackpot with a single one dollar ticket or got
struck by lightening. You deal with what comes as it comes along.

And some of us choose to deal with it by having the parts on hand.

Would you put an "awful" (your adjective) sounding universal string on an
otherwise meticulously prepared instrument and expect someone to play an
important solo piano recital with it? Yikes!

The S series strings are much better than the small set, and chances are,
you are the only one who will hear a difference. IF you can splice it, do
that first. But you do what you have to do. When you have to be extremely
frugal with budget money, it just doesn't make sense to have this set of
strings sitting under the cabinet just in case you win the lottery. You
could be restringing a piano that needs it instead.

Sounds like the real answer is to work on the funding issue, as I'm sure
there are many "lotteries" and other sundry items you would like to address.

Rick Florence

Senior Piano Technician

Arizona State University

School of Music