[CAUT] Teaching Style

James Ellis claviers at nxs.net
Mon Feb 26 09:00:36 MST 2007

I think David and Fred are right about the teaching style that promotes
"fortissississimo", and sometimes ends up with a few broken strings in
practice rooms and teaching studios.  Some audiences seem to be thrilled by
what, in my opinion, is "piano gymnastics".  I once saw a young pianist - a
previous contest winner - whack the low A# key with his fist to punctuate
the end of a number he played.  The audience loved it.  I didn't.  In my
view of it, there are those who thrill their audiences by using the piano
for a punching bag, but then there are those like the late Dame Myra Hess
and Wilhelm Kempff who used the piano to make music.  I was once privileged
to hear both, live on stage - Myra Hess about 1950, and Wilhelm Kempff
about 1966.  I saw no gymnastics - just heard beautiful music.

Jim Ellis