[CAUT] unusual repair

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Feb 26 09:56:26 MST 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 10:56 AM, David Porritt wrote:

> Wim wrote:
>
> But, again, in the five
> years I've been here, I have had to replace mabey two or three bass
> strings on any of the pianos.
>
> Wow!  I replace more than that every month!  Treble strings
> considerably
> more.  One piano in a professor's studio has had 6 treble strings
> this month
> - mostly broken by his students who practice in there when he is
> out of town
> doing concerts & recitals.
>
> dp
>
> ____________________
> David M. Porritt, RPT
> dporritt at smu.edu

I've replaced two bass strings in almost 9 years and we have 125
pianos.  Both were rehearsal pianos.  One was an upright in a general
practice room, the other was the opera rehearsal instrument.  There
was no panic.  I ordered the replacements and installed them when
they came in.

Starting to get a lot more treble replacements.  But in over 20 years
of working on pianos in state universities, I just haven't seen that
many bass string replacements either.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina