[CAUT] unusual repair

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Mon Feb 26 11:12:47 MST 2007

Quoting Jeff Tanner <jtanner at mozart.sc.edu>:

> On Feb 24, 2007, at 12:48 PM, David Porritt wrote:
>
> >  I think he and I agree that his job is to teach students to win
> > competitions and launch successful performing careers and my job is
> > repair the damage.
> >
> > dave
> >

> We have faculty members who completely disagree on the subject of
> competitions.  Some think that is a measure of success.  Others
> believe that teaching to win a competition has nothing to do with
> teaching music.  Guess which teachers break strings.
>

> Jeff Tanner, RPT
> University of South Carolina

This is what I was kind of thinking. Where is the dividing line
between making music, and just beating the daylights out of a piano.
I'm not a pianist, but I can certainly tell the difference between
someone abusing a piano, and playing it.

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music
University of Alabama