[CAUT] How many DC tanks, (was undercover Heat n Bond)

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Mon Feb 26 18:17:23 MST 2007

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your responses about the Heat n Bond.  I received the information
you sent to Roger Wheelock and am ready to charge ahead.

I'd like your opinion (or anybody else's).  Here in Central Illinois we go
through some pretty large humidity swings.  I serviced, for the first time,
a Steinway B, in an majestic, though old, brick country house (high, high
ceilings, hot water heat), where they do not normally use air conditioning
in the summer.  This piano has a DC system, installed by a guy who generally
makes "big deal" out of a lot of stuff.  Anyway, it's a two humidifier
system, under the beams; he attached plywood the same rectangular shape of
the baffles to the beams.  Then the tanks hang pretty far below the plywood,
the baffles hang between the tanks and the plywood.  Darn, why didn't I have
my camera with me.  It looks genuinely hideous and I still had to do a
significant pitch raise, so I'm not sure how much this installation is
really helping.  Then there is an issue with the keys in the summer.  I
would like to do an in-between the beams installation with undercover, and
an added heater bar under the keybed.  I'm also recommending an Edwards
string cover.  I think that the high humidity in the summer is the bigger
problem.  OK, so here's the question.  If I switched to a one tank system
and used an undercover, do you think it would do the job?  My not very good
hygrometer said that the humidity level was at 28% when I was there last
week, so it doesn't appear to be one of those horrifically dry environments
(for winter).   Would you automatically put a two tank system in a B or
would you only put two tanks in when dryness was extreme?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois