[CAUT] CAUT String Repair Class....was unusual repair

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Feb 28 08:09:13 MST 2007

Hi Ed,
	I wonder if I could ask for a wee bit of clarification. I am with
you except for step 5. In step 5, do you make your loop in the long
wire, then insinuate the becket through it, following with the rest
of the short wire? Or do you have some technique for creating the
loop in the long wire "around" the short wire? (BTW, I would add to
your instructions for 1 and 2 "while applying tension to the strings
- pulling on them to start unwinding the coil" or something a bit
better worded).
	I have never considered using the short piece of existing wire,
myself, thinking it too much trouble, and that the difference in
"stretchability" wouldn't be that big compared to a new piece of
wire. Of course, you waste some time going to get that piece of wire,
but I don't carry around  my splicing tools on my tuning rounds at
the U, so it isn't an extra trip for me. But it's a trick that might
come in handy some day.
	FWIW, a normal splice takes me a bit less time than a full string
replacement. Once I read Bill Spurlock's article, maybe 15 years ago,
I became an immediate expert <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico