[CAUT] CAUT String Repair Class....was unusual repair

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Wed Feb 28 08:54:15 MST 2007

Fred,

I've always used the short piece of existing wire I guess because I'm
too lazy to go get wire...also, I think part of the beauty of splicing
(besides all of the other advantages) is the immediacy of it. You break
a wire and then take care of it right then and there. It almost always
takes less than 10 minutes and I've done it in as little as 5 when
everything is going right. This includes straightening all the bends,
leveling the strings and pounding the note until the pitch has pretty
well stabilized. I've had strings break at so many inopportune times
that I just keep the couple of extra tools with me at all times. I had
to splice F2 (#21 wire) on a Steinway D recently the day before a
Concerto. I did have to make a trip to get wire for that splice because
it broke at the tuning pin but even this difficult splice took 15
minutes once I had the wire. It was 100% stable by the next day.

We have the perfect set-up to practice splicing (practice rooms) and I
strongly urge everyone to take advantage and hone that skill for the
time where it could save a performance.

BTW, of the possibly hundreds of splices here, I find it extremely rare
for a spliced string to break again or fail in any way.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati