[CAUT] Parts

Vincent Earl Mrykalo v.mrykalo at utah.edu
Wed Jan 3 18:22:27 MST 2007

so what did ed say?

Vince Mrykalo RPT
University of Utah

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org on behalf of Alan McCoy
Sent: Wed 1/3/2007 10:35 AM
To: College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Parts

OK. So the real numbers for the Abel parts (only an order of magnitude off
yesterday):

Shank wt (per Stanwood)= about 60 weighed 1.5g, the rest evenly divided 1.4g
and 1.6g (with 1 shank at 1.7g and 1 at 1.3g)

Friction: 65 shanks between 2.5-4g, 15 at 2g and the rest at 4.5g.

> In the end its just another way of doing the same thing.  I dont see it
> as a problem one way or the other myself and I honestly dont have any
> more trouble alligning and traveling hammers to strings the Stein-way as
> I do any other way.

On many S&S rails the flanges line up fairly straight, but the one I'm
working on now the flanges were all over the place, which means of course
that the knuckle alignment is all over the place. McMorrow has a good bit to
say on this issue in his book.

Alan