[CAUT] Parts

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jan 4 01:27:18 MST 2007

Hi Alan

Now this sounds more like it.... and is pretty typical of the
measurements I get with Renner shanks.  About McMorrow... I agree... he
has some good points...especially the one about alignment of centerpin
height... not a point usually made in discussions about papering flanges.

Cheers
RicB

    OK. So the real numbers for the Abel parts (only an order of
    magnitude off
    yesterday):

    Shank wt (per Stanwood)= about 60 weighed 1.5g, the rest evenly
    divided 1.4g
    and 1.6g (with 1 shank at 1.7g and 1 at 1.3g)

    Friction: 65 shanks between 2.5-4g, 15 at 2g and the rest at 4.5g.

     > In the end its just another way of doing the same thing.  I dont
    see it
     > as a problem one way or the other myself and I honestly dont have any
     > more trouble alligning and traveling hammers to strings the
    Stein-way as
     > I do any other way.

    On many S&S rails the flanges line up fairly straight, but the one I'm
    working on now the flanges were all over the place, which means of
    course
    that the knuckle alignment is all over the place. McMorrow has a
    good bit to
    say on this issue in his book.

    Alan