[CAUT] huge pitch raise question

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Mon Jan 8 14:36:23 MST 2007

Hey, Michelle,

When raising pitch by 100 cents or less, I overshoot by 10% in the bass and
25% in tenor/treble, sometimes 25% tenor and 30% treble, particularly in
uprights and when closer to a 100 cent raise.  Over 100 cents I just pull it
30 cents sharp.

Let¹s say, for instance, I do a 100 cent raise; then in the tenor the total
pull is 125 cents.  When I say I bring it all the way up in 15-25 cent
jumps, I mean in this for instance it would take me 5 or 6 quick jerks to
get the pitch in the neighborhood, then a finesse to get it within 1-2 cents
of the target.  I don¹t go for more precision than that on a pitch raise.
After one pass, the piano is usually within 2-3 cents of standard pitch.
That¹s just one reason why I love my Verituner! (Yes, the same is true for
any ETD, I just happen to own a Verituner.)

Regards,
Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT