[CAUT] huge pitch raise question

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 9 14:35:16 MST 2007

A good experiment is to intentionally break strings on a piano that's going to be junked. WEAR EYE PROTECTION.  Tune a string as unison with it's upper neighbor, and the next  upper neighbor, and the next....

The breaking point will vary depending on where you are in the scale.  You will come away with a clear sense of what kind of overpull it takes to break a normal string.

I recently raised pitch on a 1990's Kimball console.  Three midrange strings in a row broke just as they approached pitch. That clearly was a problem with the wire.

Another time  bass strings were popping from a container shipment of Korean vertricals. A careful check showed the strings had been seated with a sharp edged screwdriver, leaving nicks in the wire at the top bridge.

Work hardened strings (heavily played) will break when they are ready, raising or lowering pitch, or with a pianissimo hammer blow.  They break because they are so close to breaking that any disturbance does the job.

There is also some chance that a #4 tuning tip on a #2 pin could work like a becket breaker and snap the becket.

If you're using the right tool on the right tuning pin and not massively overpulling, it really is the string's fault or the piano's fault if a string breaks.
Break a few on purpose and you'll give up lots of guilt.

Ed Sutton