[CAUT] RE : Tuning Hammer tip sizes, was Re: huge pitch raise question

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Fri Jan 12 05:08:37 MST 2007

The thing is tuning pins don't all have the same tapered angle. Your # 3
tip might go down lower on that pin, but it doesn't mean that it's
touching the pin closer to the becket. The only way to check for fitting
is when the tip is not attached to the head. This way you can see
through where the tip is contacting the pin. Have a look, you might be
surprised. The only drawback of having a too big tip is that on softer
tuning pins where might be more twisting of the pin since your contact
point might be the top part of the pin. I personnally prefer that the
tip contacts the pin as low as possible on the tapered part.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC