[CAUT] Steinway Style II questions...and choices.../URL correction

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Thu Jan 18 10:09:08 MST 2007

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the note on the URL...it's www.periodpianos.org - add the "s" to
what I posted....too late at night after doing some NAMM work til almost
midnight!

The web site is temporarily ugly....but the text should be fine.  I'll fix
the titles later in the day.

The advantage of researching Steinway is that the records are intact and it
happens to be the company driving the technology and the market during the
period of 1860 to 1880.  However, the complete picture is very important, so I'm
very interested in documenting other brands as well, especially Chickering,
Knabe, Weber, Hallet Davis....and a host of other instruments whose names aren't
recognized but who were innovative and deserve attention.  My study focuses on
Steinway but it would be useless without the context.

At the present time I'm interested in finding out if any other manufacturer
built an instrument in 1869 or before in which the plate fully extended over
the pinblock (at least past the pin field).  Steinway seems to have been the
first, in 1869, but I would like to know if another company did.

Bill Shull

In a message dated 1/18/2007 5:27:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,