[CAUT] descriptive tuning (was FAC)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 23 11:42:31 MST 2007

Hi Richard,
	In general, the mid range and bass in my tuning style is not much
different from most (best I am able to figure), especially on concert
grands. The bass has a very low inharmonicity, so it is easy to
synchronize the mid range to it. My bass style is essentially
"somewhat wide" 6:3 8ves, which translates often, on larger
instruments, to beatless or somewhat wide 8:4. My 5ths approach
beatless, my 4ths are a bit "dirtier" than theory would call for.
Octaves sound "on the verge of beating," kind of like unisons that
are purposely tuned not quite beatless to liven up a dead note.
There's enough partial coupling that no actual beat occurs.
	How much faster is G3B4 compared to G3B3? About 1 bps. Does that
mean that B3B4 beats at 1 bps? No. There is enough coupling of the
4:2 and 6:3 partials that there isn't a perceptible, regular beat. It
sounds "a bit dirtier" than it could. Or you could describe it as
"more live." "Dead on" octaves sound rather dead, to my ear.
	In the higher treble, I expand at a gradually increasing rate,
lining up my notes with what is below. I typically have a compromise
between beatless 19ths and triple octaves, a little wider on concert
instruments. This makes the single octave, especially octaves 6 and
7, have an audible beat of gradually increasing rate. At the top of
the piano, C7C8, this can be quite fast. My ear isn't acute enough to
count those beats reliably.
	(The compromises happen mostly with smaller instruments, with
relatively large inharmonic breaks. You really notice those breaks
when focusing on triple octave versus double octave. I just allow a
break to occur (from, say, beatless triple octaves to quite narrow
ones), and "follow the mathematical curve" (use the machine's
numbers, or, if I'm altering them, alter them about the same amount)
until the extra high inharmonicity eases a little higher in the
scale. When I tuned entirely aurally, it drove me nuts trying to make
things work out. Going from the concert D to the Hamilton was a real
exercise in frustration. Knowing the pattern I'm working against, I
just go with the flow).
	Laws of physics don't necessarily coincide with laws of psychology
and perception. The Greeks made their temple columns curved so that
they would look straight. The question here is "What is the musician
listening to?" Is it pureness of octave, or perception of pitch?
Granted, at some point one will war enough with the other so that
there isn't a good compromise. This is often the case with smaller
pianos. There is simply no good middle ground. But I tend, with those
smaller pianos, to continue to favor the wider intervals. Yes, the
octaves in isolation sound worse, but I think the piano sounds
better. The key is consistency - if all octaves sound "the same" (in
a very gradual curve), and nothing stands out, the ear will accept it.
	And I think that, musically, we listen more to wider intervals
anyway. Pianists play with both hands, often fairly far apart. We are
constantly hearing triple octaves with the single and double mixed in
between (just play octaves in both hands, C2C3 with left, C4C5 with
right. Fill in chord notes. That's a fairly narrow musical position
for a pianist. C2C3 with the left and C5C6 with the right is also a
common spacing, reaching a quadruple octave). The sense of the top
versus the bottom of that large chord is more important than the
single octaves included within it, in that musical context. Plain,
unadorned, sustained octaves occur very, very seldom in music.
	I find that, listening in the audience, I NEVER notice the sound of
the beats in those single high octaves, though I can hear them quite
clearly while tuning. I hear unisons that are getting a bit iffy, but
that's it. What I hear more is relative pitch from bottom to top of
the piano. Does my top treble sound sharp? Not to my ear. If
anything, it sounds a bit flat (psychologically/perceptually/musically).
	If our ears can accept ET M3s, they can accept almost anything <G>.
I have never had a complaint that I stretched too much. I have
occasionally had the opposite complaint over the years and I have
responded to it.
	I would love to see some robust research in this area, using
musicians and music lovers. I think we tend to listen to each other
too much, and don't ask enough questions of the people we work for.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu