[CAUT] descriptive tuning (was FAC)

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Tue Jan 23 08:46:11 MST 2007

Fred:

I agree, but can you characterize/describe how the individual octaves
turn out when you choose to emphasize the wider intervals?  How do
the 2:1 octaves beat in the tenor and upper midrange in order for you
to get the expansion you want in the higher octaves?  Are your fifths
in the midrange pure?  Wider than pure?  How much faster are the
tenths when compared with the thirds?

I guess I'm saying that you can't have it both ways, and I'm
interested in how you would describe what your compromises and tuning
choices do to the octaves in the middle of the piano.  For example,
let's take the B4.  I assume that you like to hear the G3-B4 tenth
beating faster than the G3-B3 third.  How much faster, one beat, two,
more?  Would the G3-B4 tenth beat at the same speed as the A3-C#4
third?  How fast will you allow fourths to beat just above the
temperament?

For arguments sake let's assume this is a concert grand.  I think
we'd agree that compromises would be different in an upright or small
grand.  Since concert grands are the instruments that provide the
best opportunity to match our theoretical ideas with a real world
instrument, I'd like to get your practical description for concert
grand octaves.

The reason this topic has been of interest to me for years is this:
We technicians claim that the "artistry" of tuning is a matter of
personal choice.  Some people choose wider octaves than others.  On
some level I agree.  But I also believe that the degree of choice is
a lot narrower than has been described to me over the years.  In
other words a good concert tuning doesn't have as much lattitude for
choosing as we've come to believe.  Continuing to promote this long
held belief creates confusion, IMHO.  After all, there are certain
laws of physics at work here.  We wouldn't want to violate the laws
of physics.

Richard West