[CAUT] String scaling help svp?

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Jan 27 16:50:04 MST 2007

Hi Mark,

>from the comments below (kawai kg-2A string breakage, november
>22/06) I'm not sure if we resolved whether string gauge was a factor
>in excess breakage on these high-tension scales?
>
>Anyone with scaling software mind running some numbers for me?
>
>note            string diameter     speaking length
>
># 75 (B6)     .033" (#14)            105mm

That's about 61%

>#80 (E7)     .033" (#14)              80mm

That's about 63%.

In both cases, I don't think the tension is high enough to be the root cause.

>  I'm curious about the % of break point, and what consequence there
>would be in replacing these with .032" wire.

Changing the wire gauge will make very little difference to the break
%. It mostly changes the inharmonicity. I'd look for problems with
either the counter-bearing or Capo bar and/or the string approach
angle.

>  Within the last two years, I've had Jeremy re-string trebles in a
>half-dozen KG-2 incarnations as "prevention." However, string
>breakage seems as rampant now as it did with the original strings.

The half round brass counter-bearing bars in the KG pianos can grab
the wire a bit, and the KG capo bars are very soft, which also allows
the wire to dig in. Apart from the poor tonal result, it also causes
the bar to 'grab' the wire when rendering. The string approach angle
on some of the KG Kawais can be a bit excessive, which can also
encourage string breakage.

Sometimes when re-stringing I grind the plate thinner where the
counter-bearing bar sits, or file the counter-bearing bar base to
lower the profile, or both. I don't like a  string approach angle of
over 15 degrees as a general rule.

If you've got a case of 'bashers' using the practice room pianos and
fatiguing the wire early, bringing the strike a little closer and
reducing the dip can be a good way of extending wire life.

I used to tune for a known 'basher' concert pianist here for many
years. I would invariably bring the strike up to around 40-42 mm for
his performances just to reduce the problems created by his 'meat
cleaver' hands and his approach to performance. I always used to
think the guy should have been a race car driver instead of a pianist.

How did the Wapin conversion on the SD10 turn out?

Best regards,
Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY