[CAUT] Disinfecting Keys

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 30 11:00:43 MST 2007

Subject: Re: [CAUT] Disinfecting Keys

> There is a tape sold at drug stores called Transpore that is a medical
tape
> that breathes. You can put a bit of this over cracked fingers and still
play or
> tune.
>
> ron

Hi Ron B,
The reason the masking tape works so well for me is because it
*doesn't* breathe. It holds the splits together, sure, but it
also seals up the skin so it can rehydrate from the inside
out- which it does nicely in the course of a day. Stripping
off the tape later, the edges of splits are soft and easily
trimmed, and the split heals up quickly after that. I tend to
do a lot of finger whittling this time of year. More splits
later, more tape, same cycle. It's the best workaround I've
found.

Ron N

I tried Ron N's tip to try masking tape on my callus cracks.  It works.  The
tape quickly conforms to the shape of my finger(s) and doesn't interfere
with my work.
Two hand creams that are the best I've found are: "Sween Cream" and
"Atrac-Tain."  Both made by Coloplast. They're hard to find.  Your druggist
should be able to order it.  The "Sween Cream" can be applied PRN (as
needed). Rub a small amount on your hands and callus cracks until it
disappears. "Atrac-Tain" may be applied 2-3 times a day.  Both can be used
daily. No greasy residue left when you use the right amount.  BTW, there's a
roll masking tape in my tool kit.

Paul C