[CAUT] bummer

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Thu May 3 07:58:04 MDT 2007

Well put, Jeff!

Joy!

Elwood

Rev. Elwood Doss, Jr., M.M.E., RPT

Piano Technician/Technical Director

Department of Music

145 Fine Arts Building

University of Tennessee at Martin

Martin, TN  38238

Office: 731/8811852

Fax: 731/881-7415

________________________________

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Jeff Tanner
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 3:49 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] bummer

On May 2, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Elwood Doss wrote:

Hi Wim,

That's a shame!  The U of A just does not know what they are losing.

Absolutely.  Whether it is a budget problem or whatever, UA is making a
huge mistake.  Wim has been very dedicated to that program.  I would be
very interested in knowing the "why" here.  I know that from the
beginning there was a budget issue there.  I hope for Wim's sake that is
the cause for this.  If it is a job performance issue, I don't know what
else the faculty at UA expects they are going to get.

One of our problems is we work with, and I'm making a broad

generalization here, university musicians...moody, self centered,

jealous, picky, demanding.

Yes, they live in a very distant world from the rest of us.  Not so much
the moody, self-centered and jealous part of being a musician.  I
understand that.  It isn't the picky and demanding part.  You get that
in all fields.  It is the disconnected from reality part that spending
so much life in academia imparts.

Music can be like a drug.  It is habit forming.  Addictive.  Being
addicted to music can cause one to be disconnected from reality in much
the same way that addition to drugs or alcohol are.  I look at many of
the people I work with and wonder how they could possibly survive in
this world without academia.

Watch them.  They tend to be clueless about what has to happen around
them to enable them to live their dreams.  And they expect everyone else
to give up life and family to further their pursuits, because that is
what they have done.

I also sent Wim a private email, but will reiterate here, Wim, that you
and your wife will be in mine and Paula's prayers.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT

University of South Carolina