[CAUT] killer half-octave

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri May 18 08:32:43 MDT 2007

> The "bell" is a plate nose bolt support, right?

Right, and mass load.

>Any thoughts on why
> that original design used an expensive casting rather than an extra
> beam?  Ease of assembly?
>
> --Cy--

Thoughts? Sure, though I can't say I really know. I think it
was an afterthought, and a result of the tone collector
bracing design. All those massive beams converging at the horn
didn't provide anything in the way of bracing for the entire
top three quarters of the scale, which I suspect they realized
when they started building them this way and listened to them.
They knew they needed treble bracing, but adding real braces
would cast justifiable doubt on the tone collector concept, so
they added as nearly invisible a little bitty stick as they
could to the middle of that long unbraced span of belly rail.
The plate was still proved to need a nose bolt up there, and
they already had a little stick indicating that the tone
collector was a less than ideal design concept, so they came
up with a patch that improved the situation without making the
tone collector look any worse, that they could add a dash of
marketing mystique to and turn a band aid into a feature. It
worked too. Odd, isn't it, that the area where the belly rail
is under braced is where the killer octave and all the tuned
duplexes are, as well as the skinny little stick and bell?

Then there's the "pulsator" in the bass of the B where a real
cutoff should have been. Also a post design "fix", in my opinion.

Ron N