[CAUT] killer octave resonator

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu May 24 21:01:23 MDT 2007

All this raises the other question gnawing at my mind.... how... if one
is indeed dealing with an acute case of killer octave syndrom.... is any
stiffening of the belly rail going to help the situation ? From the
descriptions I've heard of what the acute killer octave is...... it is a
soundboard / rib failure....  which implies the direct problem is
centered over the bridge area.  I dont really see how increased
vibrability from belly rail stiffening is going to compensate more then
marginally...much less prevent this syndrom.

Please explain.....

RicB

    I think I mentioned earlier that this turnbuckle has worked on
    occasion the ooposite way and this I believe is noted in the
    instructions. The idea is that the parts that the soundboard is
    mounted to are stiffened and held better in place so that this small
    part of the board can vibrate more freely kind of like pulling a
    blanket taut. It does not seek to improve crown only vibrability
    (now there's a word for ya) although I suppose it could very very
    very slightly. When you tighten the turnbuckle you should start with
    taut and firm and only turn the tiniest amount and listen as you go.
    It is best done with two people and the person with the wrench
    should be turning by the smallest increments that they can imagine.
    And then lots of listening and comparing and consulting. There is a
    right place for the buckle to rest and you have to find it.
    I think Don Mc's belly was ready to split or was split already. This
    is the only one I have ever heard of splitting.
    Chris Solliday