[CAUT] Voicing method/analogy

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun May 27 14:18:39 MDT 2007

Hi Chris

This sounds reasonable enough, tho I have to admit I haven't tried a
McMorrow configuation since learning Stanwood methods.... now that you
mention it that might be fun to try.

That said... I think I'll stand on my basic parameters... in full
knowledge that these are more representative of my own thinking then
anything else.  Still... I think Stanwoods own data points in a similiar
direction.  If you take a statistical analysis of a few of his
measurements looking at means, averages, confidence intervals and
variant degrees... I think you'll find a clear picture that points to a
very strong preference center that sits somewhere around a 5.7 SW ratio
and 3/4 to top medium SW's.  BW strikes me as being a bit more spread
out.... perhaps because even now manufacturers dont seem to get the
significance of Stanwoods work.... and the resultant FW's of the various
factory methods out there still remain rather chaotic in comparison.
I've only had a few glances at a three or four of Stanwoods graphs of
some 1000 (I believe it was) measured instruments.... but I think I am
more or less in the ball park in my assessment of these.  David will
most certainly correct if I am mistaken.

I have heard some of Eds instruments.... and they were nice indeed...
but their character would be different with heavier hammers even if you
ended up managing to deliver the exact same amount of nett force to the
string for equal amounts of nett work from the finger.  I'm not enough
of a physics guy to be able to tell you why..... but just so..

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,
    All you say is on the way as long as we stay focused on the fact
    that heavier hammers require a lower action Ratio and lighter
    hammers require a higher one. Hence Ed M's actions worked best with
    a 15.65mm knuckle. I'm sure you know this I just wanted to
    extrapolate alittle, maybe even clarify...
    Chris Solliday