[CAUT] Voicing method/analogy

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue May 29 09:20:59 MDT 2007

We are very fortunate to have talented and creditable techs at both ends
of this spectrum.  Even if it comes to be that some middle ground is
what prevails long term, as I expect, look at what we have learned in
the process!  Deep down those with strong feelings one way or the other
hopefully can agree on that.  May that spirit and discussion of
challenging ideas we saw take root in our organization maybe 10-15 years
ago...  continue.

 From the experiments I tried with M-'s leadless (or even near leadless)
method there was too much first inertia to feel comfortable, or perhaps
just too different from what most players are familiar with.  The beauty
of Stanwood's approach is that is the ideas are sound and applicable to
any weight range of hammers.  We have seen the presentation and
marketing of ideas change profoundly in PTG over the past 10+ years
however, for reasons I don't pretend to understand.  It is what it is,
and I suppose you can't fault people for trying to maximize income.

cheers,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College