[CAUT] measuring wippen weight

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Tue Oct 2 19:14:41 MDT 2007

Alan,

Yes, the half punching will do that.  I think a  better choice if you
are in the shop is a strip of veneer on the backside of the balance
rail pin.   The half punching works well in the field.  The veneer
should be as long as you can get it.

I don't use the Stanwood jig to measure KR when doing this.  I do it
the old fashion way.  Balance out the key>20 grams on the
capstan>find the correct DW>do the math=KR.  The Stanwood jig doesn't
allow for moving the fulcrum point like a half punching or veneer
will do.  Maybe David has a work around that I don't know about with
his jig.

Tim Coates