[CAUT] measuring wippen weight

william ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Sat Oct 6 14:26:34 MDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 9:14 PM, Tim Coates wrote:
> The Stanwood jig doesn't allow for moving the fulcrum point like a
> half punching or veneer will do.  Maybe David has a work around
> that I don't know about with his jig.

I don't know whether he solved this problem last year or not, either.
What's preventing the half punching from working on his balance arm
is the pivoting balance pin. Because his jig mounts this pin on a
very low-friction pivot. the key never rocks on the pin, and the half
punching never gets to do its magic. I think that 10-15 years ago
there may have been reason to keep friction out of the FW's bearing
down on the scale. At this point, we might reexamine the inaccuracy
induced by having a fastened (not pivoting) balance pin on his jig,
because it would be nice to add the effect of half punchings to our
equations.

Bill Ballard RPT
wbps at vermontel.net