[CAUT] measuring wippen weight

william ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Sat Oct 6 16:03:09 MDT 2007

On Oct 6, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Tim Coates wrote:
> One minor mistake I made in explaining the older method is I put 40
> grams on the capstan.  20 grams works also, but 20 grams doesn't
> have the ability to split hairs with the math like 40 grams.

Effectively increasing the resolution (and sensitivity (and noise))
of the measuring device. (Who remember's Michael Antonionni's movie
"Blow Up".) Actually there's no problem, measuring the change of KR
as the key rock on the fulcrum. Just check with the remaining keys on
the keyframe to see start/finish of the balance pin's travel in the
BR bushing. 1.) Do your first KR with the BR pin at the start of its
travel, and the roller pivot held in place. 2.) Change nothing else
about the set-up for measuring the KR except to pivot the roller so
that the top end of the pin reaches the finish point in its travel.
You have the KR before and after the rock.

Mind you I haven't tried this yet. I've been out raking leaves today.

bill ballard
wbps at vermontel.net