[CAUT] New Bechsteins / David I.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Oct 7 05:10:54 MDT 2007

Thats not the first time I've gotten that question. Dont really know.
If they send them out at the same time then you have the US mail
efficiency to blame I suppose.  If they send out to us a bit early
thinking it takes a while longer to get to internationals then I suppose
some might get them quickly, and some might have to deal with a month
delay... depending on where they live in the world.

In anycase... I really was suprised to see the picture.  I havent seen a
new Bechstein since their recent demise. And details of what is produced
in Berlin are sketchy yet.  Still... gone are the treble agraffes...
gone are their short muted front lengths.  Looks like a Steinway stamp
copy now... at least from the very superficial perspective a picture gives.

The back lengths have what appear to be movable individual aliquot
termination, The front duplex looks to be terminated by tappered brass
halfrounds... also look to be moveable, angled in that typical Steinway
angle.

I'd be reallllll curious to do a close comparison between the last
series of Becsteins produced in their classic style and these.  I
understand (but am far from certain of) that quite a few of the same
people are still actually working at the factory in Berlin... and it is
in Berlin the grands are end assembled.  If so however... old traditions
die hard under such conditions... and it is quite possible that much of
the rest of the design remains unaltered... which might make for an
interesting mix of sounds.

I am reminded of a Grotrian that was rebuilt at the Bechstein factory I
ran into.  I'd love to take this thing over to a convention as an
offering to the rebuilders gang.  The most curious mix of Grotrian and
Bechstein <<sounds>> you could imagine.

Cheers
RicB

    How is it you get the Journal before I do in San Francisco?

    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, CA  9404