[CAUT] Backfire!!

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Oct 10 19:31:29 MDT 2007

At 01:47 PM 10/10/2007, Ken wrote:
>Just my own, never-to-be-humble opinion, but I think any Baldwin SD
>has tremendous potential.  It's no wonder no one likes it, being in
>the condition you describe.  Properly rebuilt, it can be a great
>concert instrument, although it may not support quite so great a
>Nose Elevation Angle on the part of the player :-)

Newport Arts Center (Newport, Oregon) has both a very new D and a
1970 SD. I have a soft spot for the Baldwin, which has been through
the wars with me, but of course everybody plays the new Steinway.
They combine surprisingly well for two piano concerts. Sharing a lid
seems to bring out the best of both of them. The Steinway gets to
provide the lid.

Yakov Kasman recently made my day by choosing the SD-10 over the
Steinway for his recital. They were sitting side by side for his
master classes, so it was easy to test both of them.

Susan Kline