[CAUT] Unusual Steinway wippens

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 11 06:35:05 MDT 2007

I just looked at an 1889 6'1" A which was unusual in a couple of
respects. It had no sostenuto, were they building them in Hamburg that
early? The action brackets were drilled for the rod but it had never
been installed, there was no trapwork or trace of any. The legs and
music desk looked original to my eye but had no carving or scroll work
like you would expect on a New York instrument. They might have been
replacements but old and very well done, were the Germans less enamored
of decoration at the time? The main thing was the wippens, they looked
like the standard ones with angled capstan and no jack adjustment screw
but they had support springs on the flange just like the current booster
ones, except, if my memory is correct, reversed, pointing up instead of
down. I have never seen this before, was it common practice back then or
was this an idea that fell by the wayside only to be rediscovered? Its
always fun to run into something a little different...

--Dave
  New Orleans