[CAUT] Upright geometry problem (Nordiska)

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Oct 11 13:20:22 MDT 2007

List,

I've never had to do a major geometry tweaking of an upright, but this
new Nordiska needs help and maybe you have some ideas;

Problem: Bobbling hammers due to not enough aftertouch (Hammers are
bouncing off jack. No space between jack and buckskin on any blow)

As it stands here are the vital specs;

Blow 42mm (Too short)

Dip .450 (Way too deep)

Letoff 1/8"

Checking 5/8"

(Lost motion has been regulated)

If I make the let off 3/8" to 1/2 " it begins to work but this is
obviously bad.

More dip would make it work... (Anyone have a 12.5 mm dip block??)

Less blow would also be ridiculous...

Seems like I need to move capstans back. No?

Any other wisdom out there?

Thanks,

Jim Busby BYU