[CAUT] Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Oct 11 15:31:47 MDT 2007

And herein lies the crux of the matter. The fact is that what Ed states
is true... and more then that there is always a person who will take the
job and do just good enough to get away with things... faculty ofte
times have long since given up hope of anything better... in extreme
cases have come to accept mediocre as normal conditions.

On the opposite side of this are some schools who look for some form of
credentials... and high up on this list are Steinway and Yamaha
Academies. So the potential for utilizing a credible set of credentials
seems clearly evident.

Cheers
RicB

         > Dave I writes:
         > But, I think the real crux of problem is school positions
        continue
         > to be filled that pay the same as custodians...if positions
        can't
         > be filled, such as the New England Conservatory position, the
        money
         > will go up....

        BINGO
        Jeff

    There is more.  As long as administrators are so ignorant of the
    maintenance needs of pianos that they think a custodian with a
    tuning hammer and an accutuner can do the job, they'll continue to
    hire people who are glad to work for custodial pay.

    It's gonna take a while....

    Ed Sutton