[CAUT] Upright geometry problem (Nordiska)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Oct 11 16:05:46 MDT 2007

You might look carefully at the action brackets and how they are
aligned and attached top and bottom. Sometimes the angle at which the
whole action assembly is held relative to keys and strings is the key
to this sort of problem. For instance, sometimes the butt leather and
its curve are leaning back too much and ought to be more upright. The
angle of that curve of leather has a lot to do with whether the jack
can clear it. In which case Wim's suggestion to shim back the wipp
rail is a good quick fix. Often you can move the whole assembly a
good bit without getting the capstan to wipp cushion (or is it
sticker cushion in this case?) too far out of whack. Maybe whatever
is holding the bottom was placed wrong or shifted or bent during
shipment. Or the brackets could have cracked due to a drop.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu