[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Oct 12 07:51:26 MDT 2007

>"Our consensus is that we should test for the skill level appropriate
>for a concert tuner. What does this mean? In simplest terms:

These tests are good for proving one's ability but when you stop and
look at it,
who's going to say they want to jump through these hoops for half
pay. It's like
asking how long can you hold your breath while standing on you head in
2 feet of muck., so the guy who holds it longer gets the job.   OOooooooo
sign me up for qualifying.  It only proves that one has a high
threshold for BS.

I don't mean to sound negative but an improved skills test is a result of the
'dumbing-down' of the classification "Craftsman" from by-gone years.  RPT
is (pardon the expression) just to keep 'asses in the seats'. When I started,
the requirements to attain this status was far beyond what qualifies for RPT.
it used to be that you had to actually prove skills via a rebuilt or
restrung piano
with a new block and attending finish work. RPT is paperwork albeit
tuning skills.

Personally, I have no desire to attain RPT status because I do not like to or
want to tune pianos. So why take a test to qualify me for something I am not
interested in??  Heck, some of my workload is fixing the work of RPT's!!!!!

The Happy Associate,
--

Regards,

Jon Page