[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Oct 12 13:17:55 MDT 2007

Hi Barbara,
	Your history is a good example of what is really effective: the tech
on the spot lobbying, communicating, making changes. That is really
our front line of attack, and having this forum makes it happen much
more and better, as we learn from one another's experiences.
	About qualifications for hiring, I think that academia would love to
have something concrete to help them. Yes, looking for and trying to
hire the local with a good reputation is one avenue. Finding someone
you want to hire and writing the job description around that person's
qualifications and history is another common one. But that assumes
you can actually find such a person (and that person is willing to
apply for the job or contract). And what does that local reputation
really mean? I have seen a lot of cases where a fast and smooth
talker got a big reputation quickly, and was entrusted with work he
or she wasn't qualified to do.
	Bottom line, nothing we do is the silver bullet. Each step is (we
hope) a step in the right direction, with various uses and
potentially positive effects. This particular project can be used to
promote PTG (and RPT) and raise awareness of piano maintenance
issues, by administrators as a tool to find qualified techs, by
current techs to try to upgrade their jobs and pay, by all of us to
raise and measure our skill levels relatively objectively . . .
	Is it worth the trouble? I guess time will tell. Airing the concepts
involved will be a healthy thing for us to do. Doing it in a very
concrete way, coming up with concrete tests, makes it much more real,
and makes the conversation much more meaningful, instead of the
random bull session that we usually engage in. I guess if I were a
betting person, I would probably put the odds somewhere below 50% for
this to come to fruition - I'm a skeptic and a realist, along with
being an idealistic crazy person who apparently doesn't have enough
to do <G>.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico