[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Sat Oct 13 06:21:30 MDT 2007

 List,

A follow-up to one of the many points recently made by our esteemed colleague in Norway:? As convenient and inexpensive as email is (particularly when communicating with associates half a world away), people will type things and will be misinterpreted about things in ways that are newly anonymous and much more readily misinterpreted when compared to speaking with someone on person (or even on the phone, for that matter).? It is a new challenge we are compelled to rise to meet, posed by this technology, to adequately convey our humanity.? People managed to do it for centuries while putting pen to paper, but then that was one on one, with greater reverence for what was being said and plenty of time to reflect before "sending."

Have a good weekend,

Alan Eder