[CAUT] Yamaha Disklavier De-tunes itself

Jeremy Gould jeremygould at bsn1.net
Sat Oct 13 12:51:11 MDT 2007

List,

A little over two years ago, the University of Northern Colorado was
given a gift of a Yamaha C6 Disklavier (well...the school paid for
half, but that's another story).  Needless to say, the player system
was never used.  The piano lived in a large classroom/performance
space and had weathered it's first two years of University life quite
well.

After my resignation last year, our jazz piano faculty requested the
piano be placed in his studio so that he could make use of all the
bells and whistles.  So, in August, the piano was placed in his studio.

Last week, I get a call saying that he doesn't know what has
happened, but his piano tuning has gone way south.  So, I go to check
it out, and find the treble pretty much on target but the entire mid-
section has gone really flat.  So, as I am preparing to tune I hit my
left knee on the console under the keybed...ouch!  So, I look down
and the player system is on.  I turn it off and feel that it is quite
warm.  Hmmm...I wonder if the electronics underneath are warm too.
Sure enough, thing has an I/O unit (don't ask me what that is)
mounted directly under the bridge and the thing is downright hot!  I
reach my fingers up in the 1" space between the soundboard and the
unit and sure enough, the sound board is quite warm.  So I did a
quick tuning and left a note saying that the player system is to
blame for the wonky tuning, and that I'll check if this is a normal
issue with these systems and in the meantime, leave it turned off
when not in use.

So, is this common?  What do I do to keep the piano from going out of
tune every time the system is turned on?  Or should I have him leave
the thing turned on and let the soundboard simmer?  Any advice will
be much appreciated.

Jeremy Gould

Pianist, Teacher, Piano Technician
Greeley Area Music Teachers Association, President

Gould and Fall Piano
1720 17th Ave.
Greeley, CO  80631
970.336.1496