[CAUT] Guidelines, CAUT, PTG

Scott E. Thile scott.thile at murraystate.edu
Sat Oct 13 17:07:57 MDT 2007

Les, here is the direct link to the Guidelines page on the CAUT site:
http://www.ptg.org/caut.php/guidlines_pg.htm

and here is one to the Guidelines themselves:
http://www.ptg.org/caut.php/Guidelines/guidelines.pdf

The home office also sells a nicely printed version that would be more
impressive as a stand alone document.

While some might have experienced some benefit to administrators reading
this themselves, I've had the most success using it in combination with a
custom document or presentation based on what I think the situation is
currently, and what will be most beneficial for the school. I've used a lot
of the info from the guidelines to build my cases. I also include the entire
document so they can see it for themselves if they want to.

Don is right. This document is very useful, and it has been very helpful to
me and many others, but it's not something you can plop down on a desk and
expect it to make a big difference without backing it up with your own
professional evaluation of the pianos and needs of the institution.

PTG has been great for me, and owe a lot to members that helped me out
directly, as well as conference presentations and seminars I've attended.
All very worth while. I've also learned a great deal from some very
excellent technicians that were not members. It's not that PTG members are
better technicians so much as that many are committed to helping others
becoming better technicians, and interested in the opportunities for
bettering themselves and the profession. That says a lot, but it's not
bottom line.

I think PTG membership carries a little weight with faculty and
administrators in that they like to see a commitment to the education
process, and value their own experiences in similar organizations. And,
while they're looking for more than minimal competency, it's nice to know
that an applicant has at least that! Most will know better than to think
that RPT means more than that. They'll also know the limitations of a CAUT
credential of some sort, but may likewise appreciate what it does mean, more
focused competency, and a commitment to developing special skills for a
school setting. That commitment means a lot and my guess is that it will
bump an applicant up to an interview out of a pool of applicants. It may
even be something that schools start to look for and advertise.

We all know great techs who are not members, and terrible techs that are.
School administrators know this kind of thing exists because they run into
it with faculty all the time.

Thanks to the committee and others for all the hard work on the Guidelines,
and developing the credential. I think it's a definite step in the right
direction.

In pianos, Scott
Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano/Instrument Technician
Dept. of Music, Murray State University
504 Fine Arts Building, Murray, KY 42071
Office Phone: 270-809-4396
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/index.html