[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Mon Oct 15 07:44:24 MDT 2007

I would like to weight in with a few thoughts.

1.  Education--CAUT has been doing well in recent years to develop
classes and I believe that should be the highest priority, not only
classes at the convention, but classes at every regional seminar and
at local institutions.  The classes should become more or less
standardized and repeated annually.  What CAUT should be asking is:
What core knowledge can be taught across the country, not just at the
annual convention.  Nationwide distribution/availabiltiy  should be
paramount since many technicians will not be able to attend the
convention annually or even regularly.

2.  Experience--How does anyone get the experience to do advanced
work?  Unfortunately most of that comes from seat-of-the-pants, in-
the-field work.  When I started at the University of Nebraska, I had
been a piano technician for only 3 years with practically no
experience in voicing, and no knowledge of harpsichords or other
historical keyboards.  I learned on the job.  That first 5 years was
hell.  The 25 years after that were great.  CAUT classes/materials
need to be experience based.  We already have books that provide
general knowledge.

3.  The Guidelines--One goal of the Guidelines was to inform
administrators about what the job includes so that they would
appreciate the intricacies of the job and the pay scale would rise.
This hasn't really happened; our document is seen as self serving.
Therefore the main value of the document is to inform technicians
about what they're getting into when they apply for university jobs.
CAUT education needs to continue to inform all technicians about the
nature of university work so that when the interview comes around,
they'll be able to differentiate what we do from what all other staff
people do.  You can't expect a higher pay scale when your immediate
supervisor may be a staff person that isn't making as much as what
you're asking.  Administrators don't see us as any different than a
stage manager, administrative assistant, or, yes, a specialized
custodian.  Until that perception changes, or until applicants refuse
jobs that don't pay  wages that are competitive with private concert
work, then university techs will continue to be underpaid.

4.  Testing--Until RPT is an accepted nationwide standard, I would
put testing at a low priority.  If testing is the current priority,
the cart is being put in front of the horse.  The problems we have
with RPT testing are IMHO greater for a CAUT standard.  The test
would have to provide a better way to address testing problems like
nationwide availability, qualified and experience examiners, testing
that is fair and objective (using ETD's when ETD's can be problematic
as repeatably accurate), length of time to give the test, using
volunteers vs developing paid examiners, etc.  A complete tuning, for
example, sounds good as a goal for a testing standard, but
implementing that seems to hark back to the good ole boy days.

Richard West, retired (more or less)