[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Oct 15 08:47:38 MDT 2007

I have to agree with Richard that this job is very much experience
based.  I don't know how you would incorporate any training that would
prepare one to cope with the differences CAUT position have compared to
in-home service.  Technically it's just high-level work like any well
prepared technician would find in the field.  I had demanding customers
before I started here.  One of those was the one who talked me into
applying for this job.  He's the same here as he was at home.

To me the differences are the relationships and expectations.  If a
piano needs work in a home, you tell the customer what it needs, what it
will cost and they decide whether they'll have it done or not.  In an
academic setting, if a piano needs work it has to be done with or
without parts budget.  In addition there are several pianos that need
that work and there's no time nor budget to have it all done.
Prioritizing it, postponing some, understanding whose priorities/egos
take precedence, what can be improved without new parts etc. is all part
of the juggling act that makes the job challenging and fun.  I can't
imagine what class could possibly teach that.

A psychology class and real skill in interpersonal relationships would
be my recommended place to start.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu