[CAUT] lighter touchweight

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 10:36:36 MDT 2007

In a message dated 10/17/2007 11:44:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Jfarris at mail.utexas.edu writes:

I have a  customer who wants his 1975 Baldwin 6'8" grand to feel
lighter. It was  virtually unused for many years and recently had an
action reconditioning  and regulation. It weighed off pretty
reasonable. Downweight averaged low  50's to 50 and upweight averaged
upper 20's to 30. Friction seemed low if  anything. There isn't a lot
of lead in the keys, as much as four weights  in some of the lower
bass. The hammers have enough "extra" material in the  cove to remove
some in an arc shape.  I'm wondering if doing only  that would result
in enough weight loss to make much difference. Has  anyone done this
procedure not in conjunction with leading, etc. and  received good
results?

Sorry if you already received this. I tried  to send this message
yesterday from a different source computer and don't  know if it went
out. :)

Thanks,
--
Jeff Farris
Piano  Technician
mailto;  jfarris at mail.utexas.edu

Hi, Jeff -

You can expect that each gram you remove from the hammer weight will  lighten
the down-weight and up-weight be about 5 g.  You can test the  efficacy of
your anticipated modification by taking careful weights on, say # 1;  then
remove the hammer (OK to leave shank & flange attached) and weigh  it.  Make a
trial modification, coving, tapering, whatever, and re-weigh  the hammer.  The
difference between the 'before' and 'after' will show you  the weight savings.
(Although you're weighing the hammer + shank assemble,  the change will have
been all in the hammer.)  Reinstall and recheck your  down- and up- weights.

I have done this sort of procedure to good affect in several cases.
However, sometimes there is little enough to be gained to make this seem  worthwhile.
 Sometimes similar or greater gains can be had by other  means.  [I.e.,
damper stop too low - or  too high - will result in a  feel of greater "weight" to
the pianist.  Same for damper lift.  And  you've probably already considered
what excess friction might contribute to  perceived "touch weight".]  Sometimes
several of these procedures and  adjustments can add up to an improvement
much appreciated by the pianist.

P.S.  Didn't know there was such a thing as a 6' 8" Baldwin.  6'  3"?  5' 8"?

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

346 Camp  Street