[CAUT] lighter touchweight

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Oct 18 07:55:18 MDT 2007

> I guess you’re right about that.  So drilling holes is even more
> worthless than I thought.
>

> David Love
> davidlovepianos at comcast.net
> www.davidlovepianos.com

> David writes:
>
> Of course, if you take
> even a small amount of weight off the wippen and don't change the repetition
> spring tension you will get a faster rise.
>

> Greetings,
>    I don't understand  how whippen weight relates to hammer rise, since
> the only part of the whippen that moves during this rise is the
> balancier.  More explanation, here, please...
> Regards,
>

> Ed Foote RPT

It ought to improve repetition some, because there's slightly
less mass in the wippen. Hammer rise doesn't have anything to
do with repetition except as a handy visual aid for us to set
spring strength on the bench. In play, the wippen and back of
the key are pressed down and the hammer doesn't rise. Whether
the repetition difference is enough to be worth the trouble is
a subjective call.
Ron N