[CAUT] lighter touchweight

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Oct 18 11:27:05 MDT 2007

Actually, this is not quite correct either.  The rep spring in play does
basically the same thing it does when we hold the key down.  It pushes
the two <<halfs > of the action it separates away from each other. Its
just that when you hold the key down the only thing that can move is the
hammer... upwards.  But it exerts exactly the same amount of force in
each direction just the same. How much is released in either direction
is another matter.  Under play the parts move away from each other
relative to how much mass each half presents to the spring. If the key
has enough effective mass.. then you can actually experience a slight
rise in the hammer under normal play. Happens with often enough when the
pianists fingers dont simply release the key or release it very slowly.

As far as the whippens' weight.  True enough that 1 gram of whippen
radius weight equals translates to roughly 0.5 grams of weight
difference at the key.  Clear enough given by the following : Action
Weight  = (SW x HR x WR) + WW.   Where Action Weight is what is sitting
on the capstan.  That said... that is a static measurement.  I dont know
of anyone who's looked all that closely at the dynamics of different
whippen weights.  I wouldnt have any problem removing 2-3 grams of
whippen radius weight.  It is after all a small gain (if gain means
reduced Action Weight) and its quick and easy enough to do.

If you lower whippen mass and leave the spring as it was.. then there
will most definitely be a change in repetition speed. The sum of the two
halfs are reduced and so the spring has an easier time of it. Dark side
of this moon tho is that for the same repetition spring strength, more
will be felt fed back through the key.

Cheers
RicB

     > Greetings,
     >    I don't understand  how whippen weight relates to hammer rise,
    since
     > the only part of the whippen that moves during this rise is the
     > balancier.  More explanation, here, please...
     > Regards,
     >

     > Ed Foote RPT

    It ought to improve repetition some, because there's slightly
    less mass in the wippen. Hammer rise doesn't have anything to
    do with repetition except as a handy visual aid for us to set
    spring strength on the bench. In play, the wippen and back of
    the key are pressed down and the hammer doesn't rise. Whether
    the repetition difference is enough to be worth the trouble is
    a subjective call.
    Ron N