[CAUT] Lighter Touchweight

James Ellis claviers at nxs.net
Thu Oct 18 10:14:16 MDT 2007

I have been reading the mail, reluctant to weigh in, but now I will.

Jeff, the static measurements you mention look good to me, and you say the
friction is low.  I would be very slow about making any drastic changes
like moving capstans, or anything like that.  Don Mannino and Alan McCoy
make some good points.  Ric Brekne is correct too when he says your window
for damper lift timing is narrow.  But if damper lift is significantly too
early, that will contribute to the heavy feel, especially if the upstop
rail to too high, and the pianist feels the damper rebound on the keys.
Tight damper guide bushings and tight underlevers will also contribute.

What is too often not understood is that two different parameters are at
play here - "static" and "dynamic".  Static has to do with those key weight
measurements.  Dynamic has to do with the inertia in the whole system.  The
two are related, but not the same thing by any means.

In this particular case, if you lighten the down-weight very much, you may
be in trouble with insufficient up-weight, and you may not be addressing
the actual problem either.

I'm not sure there is a problem.  It just may be that the pianist wants
something that is not proctical to provide, without giving up something
else he wants to keep.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis