[CAUT] Speaking of backchecks...(was:wacky backchecks

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Thu Oct 18 07:24:24 MDT 2007

One trick to change ratio without moving capstans is to relocate the stack.
In this case, investigate if the stack can move forwards 3mm or so.
The key frame
would have to relocate back by the same amount to maintain strike point.

I've relocated the stack on many Steinways resulting in improved
action performance.
This works well if you notice that the shanks are no centered over
the rest felts in the bass and tenor.

I'm doing it on a Samick now and posted results a while ago on
another Asian action.
The problem with the current Samick is high friction. As posted
before, I'm relocating the knuckles back to 18mm and moved the stack
back 2.5mm. The action had plenty of room to move forwards but what
also helped in this is that the hammers are hung with an extreme back
angle and understriking. I'm also pulling them off from the
tenor/treble break and hanging them 90 degrees. This moves the strike
point forwards which allows for more back movement of the stack than
forwards movement of the action.  Follow that?

What I had to do first was to stabilize the action registering. The
cheek blocks had a lot of fore and aft play. I replaced the thin
dowels in the blocks with 3/8" dowels and now they are solid.

SO today, I'll be giving the shanks the ol' one-two and taking two
grands to their demise.

All in a day's work.
--

Regards,