[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Fri Oct 19 08:29:08 MDT 2007

Hi, Jim,

After I got out of Western Iowa Tech, I thought I knew quite a bit
about pianos.  I quickly learned that I still had a lot to learn.  I
barely knew enough to pass my RPT exam.  In the 35 years since, then,
I would have to say that the expansion of my knowledge was based on
experience, i.e. a problem occurrs that I haven't encountered before
and I have to deal with it.  Hopefully I fix the problem.  In a
nutshell that's what I mean by "experience based."

A little book that was particularly helpful early in my career was a
book titled The Piano Tuners Pocket Companion by Oliver Faust.  On
one side of the page there was a symptom and on the other was the
solution.  Early on that got me through a lot of repairs, but as I
expanded my knowledge, I realized that repairs aren't always a simple
symptom/solution question.  Dampers are a good example of what I
mean.  You have a ringing damper, but a plethora of possible
solutions including ones that don't even have anything to do with the
actual damper you're working on (sympathetic vibrations or a duplex
length of string).  But with perseverance you figure out where the
problem lies and learn what to look for.   This becomes an
experienced based repair that you add to your mental data bank.

Experience gives you a bag of "tricks" to draw from to help diagnose
problems, but these tricks of the trade aren't compiled and written
down and so it's hard for beginners to get what they need to know,
without going through the school of hard kocks.

The problem in developing materials is multifaceted.  First there's
figuring out how to deal with the multilayered nature of our work.
Second there's the problem of who's going to be using the materials.
Let's face it, we aren't all equally gifted in the mechanical arts.
Some people hardly need an explanation and others need detailed
explanations and even then may screw up.

So when I pose the question:  What does a university tech need to
know and how does he/she acquire that knowledge, I relate first to my
own experience.  I learned to be less compromising and more exacting
in my work.  If I wasn't, I'd hear about it.  I went to PTG meetings
and picked up ideas there.  I scratched my head a lot and just spent
the time it took to learn how to work on things like harpsichords, an
inventory, reports, etc. etc.  I persevered.  But it would have been
helpful if I'd had a book like Oliver Faust's that gave
straightforward solutions to common problems.  Also I realized that
learning multiple ways of doing something, forced me to think about
what works best for me.  Key bushing is an example.  I've tried a
whole host of different ways to bush keys.  I'm still looking for the
perfect system.  I've settled on a system that isn't particularly
fast and efficient, but it gives me fairly predictable results.

The first priority in concert work in getting it right.  Speed and
efficiency should also be there, but not necessarily.  Especially for
the mechanically challenged.  Sometimes doing a job slowly but
predictably is the only way.

I don't know if my longwinded explanation helps, but there it is.
I'm glad you asked, because it helped me try to try to get a better
grasp of how we learn this profession.  We don't write or teach in a
vacuum.  Perhaps the greatest challenge is getting through to
people.  That means we need to know how people learn so that our
materials reach them.  I don't know that PTG has been particularly
good at addressing this aspect of learning.

Sorry I took so long to reply.  I've had lots on my plate this week.
Retirement isn't about just sitting around and getting bored or
watching a screen all day.

Richard West