[CAUT] lighter touchweight

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Oct 19 14:17:03 MDT 2007

Hi Chris

I wonder if you might expound a bit on how a player can kinetically feel
less friction at the capstan whippen interface.

I'd agree that any reduction in friction either there or at the roller /
jack interface is a good thing... but I'm having a difficult time
pondering how a even upto a gram of weight difference sitting on the
capstan can be experienced as a reduction in friction visa vi a gram
difference in strike weight being felt in terms of the jacks
interreaction with the roller.

I would be cool indeed to have a set of Stanwood numbers on this piano.
Either there is a good (read <<usual>>) reason why the pianist senses
heavyness... and from what we have it really doesnt look like it, or the
fellow just plain wants feather play.

What I see so far is  low friction (in all regards) reasonably low
static DW/UW and low mass levels (infered from apparently low key leads
and the resultant BW).  I'd like to know if the leverage is (after
Stanwood) to low (read ratio to high)  for the SW's--- despite the
seeming light touch action.

In anycase... lightening this further is going to quickly run into to
low an UW without further ado.  I got the drift he was saying well below
30 UW... as in round 26-27 myself.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric and all,
    the real reduction here could be felt by the player kinetically as less
    friction at the capstan wippen profile, although you will find a
    reduction
    in static friction component as well. Just removing weight is one way,
    adding an assist spring to the wippen is another more influential
    way. But
    to be clear about this particular issue I am discussing theory for
    the most
    part and agree with Jim Ellis and Don Maninno that other issues are more
    practically persued and in fact there may not be ANY problem here.
    Afterall
    we don't know the Ratio and most Baldwins are high and to have
    achieved 52
    down and 30 up with minimal friction seems a wonderful result to
    this old
    Baldwin kicker.
    Chris Solliday