[CAUT] lighter touchweight

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Fri Oct 19 20:57:39 MDT 2007

Yes Ric, i too would like more info to get the basic out of the way, a good
marriage of Ratio and StrikeWeight, but that doesn't seem likely in this
case. As for capstan/wippen friction, a lighter weight resting on the
capstan will result in less friction. Don't change anything else and put in
a lighter wippen or one with an assist spring and measure it. With an assist
spring picking up much or all of the weight of the wippen (and that doesn't
have to be adjusted that tightly to accomplish it), as some have erroneously
imagined the rep spring to be doing, you will read less friction statically
and perhaps wonder what happened but I assure you that the effect is much
greater when the action is in motion and felt by the player. Further not all
of them like it. Ask me how I know. In other words you can give the same BW
(with same Up and Down) with springs and lead as you do with just lead and
the noticable difference will be two things, mass of the key at break away
and less friction. Where else is it but at the the place you pulled the
weight off of?
I truely wish we had a way of measuring kinetic component friction cause
then I'd have charts and graphs and really kick your butt! But think about
it and tell me where I'm wrong because I'm just a beginner and I start over
fresh everyday anyway.
BTW just asa a teasing aside, the newly designed wippens that Jamie and
Bruce are developing for M &H from synthetics are lighter, several grams
lighter, than standard and the reason is???? So they can put the weight into
the hammer and reduce friction at the capstan which by the way is anodized
aluminum and of course very light.
Best wishes to you,
Chris Solliday