[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Joel A. Jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Fri Oct 19 14:40:11 MDT 2007

A trait I have not seen mentioned in any of these discussions so far
is the mind set that CAUT employment requires.  ie You will go to the
same 'cubicle' and work on the same pianos for a long, long time. Many
of my colleagues have not retained their sense of humor in these
circumstances and in fact become quite sour with the profession.

  If you need the variety of 'shoe less' work where you go to a
different house
to a different room, a different piano owner, remove you shoes and
spread
a drop cloth on the white carpet, and collect a fee at the end of each
tuning
then CAUT work is not for you.

For my 40 years the faculty change over was not big as tenure secured
their position. Piano inventory remained equally static with very few
new
pianos purchased during my years.  However, it was impressive to me
personally that as the inventory aged and the musicians practiced,
performed long and hard  the pianos were able to give back what the
pianists put in.  They were happy and that made me happy.

Develop a sense of humor.  Enjoy stability.   Keep in Tune.

Joel

Joel Jones, RPT
Madison, WI