[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Oct 19 12:14:20 MDT 2007

Alan Eder, A.K.A.,
reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> I think that CAUT work should require as wide a range and as high a
> level of technical ability as possible (and be compensated
> accordingly!!!). To me, the elusive part, the part that can be
> discussed, but ultimately not taught, is how to keep so many plates
> twirling in the air at the same time.

'Tis the art of triage...

  The demands of the situation,
> magnified by the desire to make things better; having hundreds of hands
> to hold simultaneously; handling training and supervising others while
> doing your own work, and then being interrupted;

...and being undermined by folks "forgetting" to book out a room.
grrrrrrr

  doing a solid job of
> taking responsibility for everything in your job description--and then
> some--while being able to clearly draw a line to keep yourself from
> being sucked into things that are "not your table;"

oh, you mean like being the music department tool crib? or do you mean
putzing with things like celeste, concert harp, etc.?

  dealing with the
> constraints of in adequate budgets; the politics...THESE are the things
> that distinguish CAUT work in my mind and are ultimately going to be
> learned only through experience and survival in a particular situation.

Yup.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
- Casey Stengel