[CAUT] lighter touchweight

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Sat Oct 20 07:45:00 MDT 2007

I apologize Ric. To do this more"scientifically" you should of course remove
lead from the key before/after hooking up the spring or after removing
weight from the wip in order to maintain a constant BW. This is something
Bob M and I discovered in our class recently in Oklahoma. We now use models
to teach these principles, made by the Florida State piano technology grad
program, with exchangable shanks having 15, 16 & 17 (10) mm knuckles
(constant StrikeWeight), movable captstan boats, asssist springs, easily
removable and replaceable leading, and we also introduce the cut punching
and balance rail shimming techniques. Used to be hard to get these things
across but thanks to the models we have arrived at a real method for
teaching these concepts. And we are discovering additional benefits like
"wow where did that additional friction reduction come from?"
I agree with you, it must be a slightly higher Ratio than we would like for
a happy marriage with the SW, but it appears nothing is to be done on this
account. It has, however,  provoked some interesting discussion.
See ya on the web,
Chris Solliday