[CAUT] Lighter Touchweight

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Oct 20 16:57:30 MDT 2007

>Not sure I understand what you mean here.  Putting aside the jack knuckle
>interface angle, why would the advantage of shimming out the wippen be lost
>at the knuckle?

Because the knuckle is moved further out on the repetition lever also.
Moving the rail back, increases the distance from the center pin to the
capstan on the wippen support (+)  but it also increases the distance
from the cp to the knuckle (-). It's a wash.

Moving the stack alters only the input dimension on the wip ratio.

In Barbars's case, moving the stack forwards increases the wippen's
ratio and it will regulate with a longer blow distance but will also
increase touchweight and friction.

In the Baldwin grand case, moving the stack back will lower the
wippen's ratio and
will lower the touchweight and friction.

Touchweight and FW have to be taken into consideration as well as the amount
of room to move the keyframe fore or aft between the fallboard and
keyslip because
if one moves the stack, the keyframe needs to be relocated to
maintain strike point.

I'm doing this right now on a Samick. Done it many times with success
because the stack
isn't always in the right spot to begin with. Even treble to bass
positioning of the capstan
on the cushion. I find it's usually tha the capstan is further back
on the cushion than the treble causing the wippen ratio to be uneven
across the compass.

--

Regards,

Jon Page